Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Catching up

I know I've been pretty quiet the last couple of months.  The truth is I've been struggling with life a little bit.  Nothing all that big or interesting, just little stuff that bores everyone but me when I talk about it.


In other news I've officially reached the half way mark in my marathon training cycle.

8 weeks until I run the Newport Marathon in Oregon.

Yeah, I'm trying to get the elusive Boston Marathon Qualifying time.  I guess there is a reason the mascot is the mythical Unicorn.

As an early birthday present to me, I found out that since I turn 35 this year I get my 5 minutes back!
I now need a 3:40 finishing time instead of 3:35.  That means, based on my PR last year I need to drop 4 minutes and 15 seconds to qualify. (Although thanks to rolling registration I really need to be fast than that.)

Also...after weeks of listening to me talk about the same things over and over again while trying to decide if I was going to run the training plan out of Run Less, Run Faster again or try McMillian again under Coach Rich I chose McMillian. (Mostly because I took too long to decide).

I found out something interesting.

I still hate McMillian.  For the same reason's I didn't like it in the past.

I thought it might have been due to being a really new runner and not really knowing what I was doing that I didn't like it the first time, but the truth is...I don't like it for the same reasons.  Even with an awesome coach.

#1 reason.
I have little to no idea what my fitness/racing ability is right now.  The training guidelines are just so vague. I really liked the specific goals of RLRF.  At the end of training I KNEW what I was capable of.

That's actually the only reason I don't like it.  But it's a big reason for me.

Live and learn, right?

1 comment:

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

You'll be excellent at Newport! That BQ is yours!