Thursday, August 01, 2013

11 miles of awesome....and I found my Garmin

After look all over my house and car no fewer than three separate times, I finally found my Garmin!

Just in time for one of the most rigorous Tempo Runs of the entire training program.

An 11 mile run.

1 mile easy, 10 at Long Tempo Pace = 8:23 per mile.

To be honest I wasn't concerned with the pace.  I know I can do that.  I a bit concerned about running it alone.  I mean, I know I can do that pace, but everything is easier with a friend!

Amy was out.  Nothing about training for a 5k requires a 10 mile run, let alone a 10 mile Tempo Run.

Heather was out.  She's really just been joining me for my runs as a way to have some accountability in her running- nothing about that requires a 10 mile Tempo Run.

Drew was IN!  Lucky for me, he just loves running.  He's also super easy going so even though he isn't training for anything, he's usually up for just about anything.  In fact the first time Amy and I met him we managed to goad him into joining us on additional miles.  We were training for Newport 2011 and he had come out for a group run of 5 miles.  Amy and I still had something like 3 more miles to run and we double dog dared him:)

I won't lie.  It was really hot and humid yesterday. But the sneaky kind of hot and humid.  I wore a short sleeved shirt because I didn't want to be cold like I had been the night before.  I should have worn a tank top. Our sweat wasn't evaporating so we were hot and sticky.

But we still rocked it:)

Mile 1: 8:53, 8:03, 8:01, 8:20, 8:07, 8:04, 8:04, 8:27, 7:56, 8:11, 7:53

I'd say our pacing was reasonable.  We really should have been able to slow it down a bit more and we would have been a bit more comfortable but, whatever.

In full disclosure Drew had a bathroom break on the way out and I had one on the way back.  I really needed to pour water over my head.  It was really hot.

1 comment:

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

Last night was the sneaky kind of hot. It wasn't sunny at all!

I'm glad you had a running buddy! If you couldn't find one I thought about biking next to you.