Friday, September 01, 2017

Creating The Perfect Running Playlist

I'm gearing up to run my marathon in two weeks and I realized during my last Long Run that I am so TIRED of my playlist!

I didn't fact-check this. You're welcome.
I don't run with music very often, so I really shouldn't be tired of the songs but I am...so there you go.


I'm not a huge fan of running with music just because it can pose some really big safety issues when you can't hear what's going on around you.

I only wore one headphone so I could still hear what was happening around me.
...Or when you inadvertently run my dad off the road while he pushes my niece in a stroller because you can't hear him call out that he was passing.

She so cute! How could you run  her off the road?
I would much rather have a good long run chat with my running buddy than have music blaring in my brain.


These poor souls discovered what my father and sister already knew...I like to talk while I run. (Dad once commented that he could tell when I was struggling or running out of steam because I would finally shut up.)

I mentioned a race where no one was talking to my friend Larissa and she was flabbergasted. "I'm running too hard to talk during a race." I told her "I guess I'm not, because I like to talk while I run". We might have discovered why my race times don't match my projected times...

I created my first pace specific play list in 2014 for my potential Boston Qualifying marathon Light at the End of the Tunnel. (I also had my mother who is a certified Hypnotherapist lead me through a meditation session the night before the race. I also had some amazing friends pace me. Yes, I pulled out all the stops!)
It worked! 3:37:48 for a Boston Qualifying time!

I use the website www.jogfm.com to input my target per mile pace and it pulls up an extensive list of music that has the right beats per minute to match my per mile pace goal. Then I create the list in Spotify with the songs I think I'll like and listen to it multiple times at home to see if I hate any of the songs. My playlist is very...eclectic.

There are songs in it that when people hear them, I feel the need to explain and make excuses about why I'm listening to them:)



"Mamba #5" anyone?

Logic doesn't make many appearances in marathon running.

It took some tweaking but in the end I have a playlist of songs I like that will help keep me on pace!

If you want to check it out click here! "3:20" (Because I'm super creative with my usernames.)



No comments: