Tuesday, November 21, 2017

I believe I can fly!

...Or maybe I'm just falling with style.

YEARS ago I bought a Groupon for the Emerald City Trapeze Arts studio in Seattle. No one would go with me. It expired.

Then some ladies I know through running decided to go and I managed to latch onto their group and try it out.

SO MUCH FUN!
In fact, we had enough fun to purchase their "Catch & Release" package of two additional classes.

...and then I never went back.

The other day I found the card in my wallet and decided to just go alone if I couldn't rustle up anyone to come with me.

It was really fun!

There was a wide range of abilities in the class, which was REALLY cool. I got to watch some advanced students as well as some that were more midrange and really see the progression of what I was learning and what you can do with it.


The teachers are wonderful. They're engaging and easy going so that you don't get too stressed. (Maybe that's just me)

I always forget that I'm actually kind of scared of heights until I start these activities. But I know how much fun they will be so I do them anyway:)


There is a teacher on the ground with your training wheels/safety rope. It's attached to a harness belt at your waist that is VERY securely cinched.

There is another teacher up on the platform that gets you set up and ready to swing.
This part is probably my least favorite, because you have to stand on the very edge of the platform. Your toes are hanging off the edge and then you have to lean WAAAYYY out with your hips. It feels like you're going to fall. The teacher is holding onto the harness at your back, so you won't actually fall, but it still feels really unsecure. You're also holding onto the trapeze bar with one hand and it's much heavier than you'd think. It's fine though. You're clipped into safety leads, and there is a giant net underneath if you do end up being the fluke that falls off before swinging.

The teacher on the ground calls out every move they want you to make WHEN you need to make them.



Over the course of 2 hours, I got to swing 9 times, which was plenty. It's more tiring than you would think!

I also got to do two transfers!

The teacher catching was like a ROCK. The first time I didn't get my grip quite right, and it didn't even matter. I could feel I was locked in by his grip.


No comments: