Monday, December 30, 2013

I didn't lose count!

Back in September my friend Chrissy found a deal on www.livingsocial.com for 3 months of CrossFit at a local gym (Or "Box", as I've learned they're called).

Since I've known for about forever that I needed to work in some cross/strength training into my schedule I decided I would go with her.

I figured, "who knows, maybe I'll like it once I've tried it".

After going 3 times a week for almost 3 months, I can say that...I can take it or leave it.

It's nice to have someone else come up with a workout and to have the structure of meeting someone at a certain time, but the actual activity?

Meh.

I don't think I'm particularly BAD at CrossFit, but I'm certainly not GOOD at it either.  I'm definitely better at running.

I have gotten stronger in my upper body, which was a big aspect of adding it to my schedule.  it just doesn't give me that amazing "I can fly" feeling that I get from a good run.  Mostly I feel like "Oh, my gosh, do they have the heat on right now? It's so HOT in here!" and "what set am I on?"

I think it's been well documented that I have trouble counting while exercising.  I usually just do the rounds until someone tells me to stop. It was nearly a miracle tonight that I managed to keep count of all five sets.

Did you hear? I did ALL five. Chrissy's ankle hurt and we both have colds so she quit after her 2nd or 3rd one.  There's nothing like doing something hard while people sit comfortably (on a box jump) and watch you suffer.  But I did it.  I always figure that if I suffered through 4 of them I might as well make it worth something and finish.

I doubt I'll continue doing CrossFit.  There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't seem like the "right" fit to me.  There are so many ways to stay fit and active out there, that I don't think anyone should have to "make do" with a workout program.

I think I'm going to spend the first part of 2014 trying a bunch of different workouts on youtube.com.  I really like a channel called Zukalight.  The ones I've tried have been challenging, and the lady leading them seems really nice.

Plus, the best part?  They're 20 minutes and under...because I'm 5 years old and have a really short attention span, unless I'm running for 3+ hours.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me either.

No comments: