Friday, January 06, 2017

Disney Quilt

I finished it!


I FINALLY finished it!


You just don't understand what that means to me...I've been working on this project off and on for almost THREE YEARS.


When I first saw the blanket on Pinterest I knew I wanted to make it.




The pattern looked straight forward so I went for it.


42 little Mickey Mouse heads later I was still amped about the project.




I cut out the main blocks and started the process of appliqueing them on. It was a bit nerve wracking making sure I put them on in the right order. If I messed up I knew I would have to start over. You can't just seam rip applique out and start again.



It turns out that I really hate the applique technique. It takes SO LONG and of course I had 42 of those little heads to sew on. It's easy to get burnt out when doing something technical and I got burnt out pretty quickly. In addition my sewing machine was acting up and I couldn't get the bobbin tension correct and it kept tangling and ruining the seam.



I had to take a break.


Once I FINALLY got all those heads appliqued on assembling the topper was pretty straight forward. I mean all I had to do was sew straight lines, right?


True...but that was when I discovered that I had sewn some of the heads on in the wrong order. UGH. This ruined the rainbow effect. I was really invested in that rainbow...
Do you see where I went wrong?
I always see these things when I'm congratulating myself on my progress.



So I took a break. I hate it when projects aren't going to work the way I want them to. It takes a while for me to trouble shoot and come up with alternatives that I feel good about. Other than redoing a large portion of the project, I didn't really have other options besides dealing with it.


It's hard to work on a project that's really time consuming that you know at the end of the day isn't going to look like you want it to look.

So pushed through and started sewing the front to the back.

Which is when I saw it...I saw what had happened to make the heads be in the wrong order. All I had to do was rotate one block. But I had already done a lot of work...But once you see it, it can't be unseen.

So I took everything apart and started over.

So worth it!


Now it was going to be what I always wanted it to be. Happy days!


I had never cut or sewn biased binding, but this was my chance to learn...through messing it up four times. I couldn't get the corners to fold right no matter how many Youtube videos I watched. But my friend Linda walked me through and showed me how to hand bind a quilt. Which wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. I think the binding turned out really well.
My beautiful mitered corner!



I  think the whole project turned out really well. It's been in my life so long, it actually kind of feels sad to be finished.


2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I had no idea all those little heads were APPLIQUES!! I am overflowing with respect for your craftsmanship and tenacity. Just WOW!!

Patty Danner said...

Love this!