Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Anatomy for Runners- Book review



I really loved this book.
 


It's FULL of information. In fact there was so much really great, applicable information I had to slow down and limit my reading to 10 pages a night, just so I could be sure to retain the information.

It is written in a more technical way than "Ready to Run", so I had to adjust from being used to reading conversationally to technical writing.



This book was awesome and just looking through it to write this review makes me want to read it again.


It covered so much information on the mechanics of running, running form, the different stressors that running puts on the body, the authors dislike of standard running shoes:) as well as diagnosis tests for body mechanics and a whole regimen of exercises that you can do to correct form and strengthen weaknesses.
  



Chapter 3 Microanatomy- What Are You Made Of? was really interesting and useful how they broke down bone structure and how running puts stress on the human form. They also discuss stress fractures and some trouble shooting ideas if they start turning chronic. This caught my eye because I had a stress fracture two years ago and DON'T want to go through that again. I also have a friend that has been plagued with them despite doing all the things she's supposed to, to mitigate the issues.

















Oh, and the author hates traditional running shoes...BUT has the good sense to just leave it with "if it works for you, don't change it." Which I appreciate.

I loved chapter 6: Dynamic Neuromuscular Strength - Make a Smarter, Stronger Spring. We all want to run faster and smarter and the information in here really explains how to maximize what you're working with.


Chapter 8 covers Essentials of Running Gait - The Human Slingshot and it's mostly stuff that has already been covered in other resources but it's backed up with a lot of data and resource references...which I love.
Chapter 9 "Assessment and Development of the Athlete Within-Redefining the Body You've Come to Know and Love" went over assessments that runners should do to locate and identify tight areas, and weak areas that need to be worked on.
 


Before I started reading I had a good idea of my weak areas but I got a few surprises during the assessment regarding just how tight my hips (not the surprise) and my quads are (surprise!).

Luckily the next chapter covers corrective exercises and stretches so I can work on fixing myself up and get the most out of my running and training.





No comments: